Sunday, June 19, 2011

Candidness

For years I've been puzzled at people's attempts to keep certain things under wraps. As someone who has lived his life under what I can only assume are honest intentions, the idea of keeping things from the people you trust has seemed like a foreign concept to me. That's why I still get taken a bit aback at the concept of being candid with others.

The unfortunate downside that comes with having to question consequences is hesitance to repeat the same mistake twice. That can be true of any outcome, regardless of severity. It has taken a good many years for me to separate probabilities from morals. I'm guessing that happens with at least some of you, I'd hate to feel like the only forthcoming person I know.

Of course, the occasional omittance is forgiven, or even expected in certain situations. Maybe that's the difference between myself and the vast majority of people. My sense of caution is turned down in the presence of truth (or at least what I perceive truth to be) because I figure the truth is never questionable. It's always a matter of perception, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly the most relatable person in the world, for one reason or another. I definitely seem to possess the empathy for such situations, but I believe my view of the situations themselves is skewed. Could be partially both. Who knows really?

I guess the point is, that no matter how you take in a situation, you're never going to witness it exactly the same as someone else. With that in mind, you need to take a delicate stance when deciding what to discuss with others. There are times when it can benefit you or destroy you, and there are times when saying nothing at all is much more prudent, I'm hoping to eventually figure all that out. Typically I have a gift for good timing, but nobody's perfect (especially with 4 or 5 beers in them) so the best you can do is have a good head for damage control. Sort of ironic really since the more damage you put in front of yourself, the better you get at handling it.

So fail early and often, as they say. Sooner or later, it pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment